Your Labour Candidate - Haywards Heath Franklands Ward
I am standing for the Haywards Heath Town Council at this by-election because I believe that the future of our town should be one which provides the opportunity for a good life for people of all ages. I involved myself in local politics because I have had a growing feeling that we must make life better for people and I have always believed in fairness and equality.
I grew up in this community and have lived most of my life in Haywards Heath. I am a proud Unite member and joined the Labour Party because I believe that they are the only party that will truly deliver to me, my family and my community. I will represent you and your views to the best of my ability and will always work for policies that will make the lives of you and your families better, and this community a better place to be.
As your councillor I pledge to:
- Put your interests above all else on the Town Council
- Press for local decision-making. Our town should not be governed by a handful of District Council Cabinet members
- Insist on better public services – road sweeping, grass cutting, maintaining public areas, etc.
- Raise concerns about hospital parking charges, support hospital workers and users and work to reduce on-street parking in local areas
- Work constructively with other councillors, considering issues on their merits alone
- Always be available – listening to your concerns and pressing for action to resolve difficulties
- Ensure adequate youth club facilities are available
We would like to hear from you if you have any comments good or bad. Contact us to arrange an appointment with our local campaigners
On the environment Labour will:
- Seek to protect all green spaces and promote fitness trails and work to maintain, advertise and improve footpaths and cycle links
- Work to protect and improve new and existing green spaces to the benefit of people’s health and well being and seek community engagement and support, using funding generated from new developments and other sources
- Press our Town Council to commit to doing more to help tackle the climate crisis and work towards making West Sussex carbon neutral.
In planning and building Labour will:
- Bring back Local Planning Committees, ensuring that all decisions are taken at the local level with community input
- Demand that ALL developments are in full compliance with District and Neighbourhood plans and incorporate traffic management schemes to ease the congestion on our roads
- Require developers to have open and transparent accounting for their contributions. This must be an integral part of all development and not an afterthought
- Expect high building standards that include renewable energy, electric vehicle chargepoints and adequate car parking facilities
A VOTE FOR LABOUR IS A VOTE TO:
- Stand up to speculative developers
- Demand high building standards that include renewable energy
- Create more affordable housing
- Be more transparent about how council decisions are made
- Bring back truly representative local planning committees
- Put the environment and green space above profit
- Balance the needs of business with the interests of the community